PERUVIAN SOCIETY FOR CLEAN AIR AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
Sociedad Peruana Pro Aire Limpio Y Gestion Ambiental - SPAGAL
Urbanización El Cuadro A-9
Chaclacayo, Lima, Peru
tel: (+51) 14 972963, mobile: 9-9965-1328
fax: (+51) 14 972709
mail: Dr Vizcarra Andreu, President, SPAGAL, email@example.com
Organisation and Objectives
SPAGAL was founded in 1970 as Asociación Peruana contra la Contaminación Atmosférica - APCCA, but re-constituted and registered with Government bodies with present nomination, in 1994. It is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation. Its main objectives are the diffusion of advanced knowledge to general community, in the importance to breathe a clean air, and to have practical experiences in air quality and environmental management.
- To pursue the promotion of public education about environmental problems with emphasis on wider aspects of air pollution, by mass media and lectures.
- To attend and participate in events related to atmospheric pollution.
- Winning a contest organised by the Science and Technology Organisation in Peru enabled us to evaluate air quality in the Rimac river basin. This river, which is the principal source of water for Big Lima (8 million inhabitants) comes down in a course of 132 km, from 4800 m to the Pacific Ocean. Monitoring was carried out simultaneously at two mobile sampling stations, at some distance from each other, climbing from seashore to 3900 m above sea level. The results were most interesting providing valuable data on air pollution in Lima and the generation of tropospheric ozone.
- AIRE LIMPIO (Clean Air in Spanish) - SUMAC HUAYRA (“nice” air in quechua, native Peruvian language)
- Continual production of scientific divulgation papers
- Books (TECNOSFERA, ECOSFERA, ATMOSFERA en PELIGRO), by Spagal’s President.
President: Dr Vizcarra Andreu